What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,049Gear list
Like?
I fully agree on that bit of 12/17 comparison.
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 7 months ago

I agree that the 12mm lens shows that Olympus can do better. The 17mm being less wide should have been equally good at just a bit lower price. But I guess sharpness isn't everything in judging the value of a lens. The 12mm and 17mm f/1.8 both get the same overall score of 19 on dxomark, with the 17mm showing less sharpness.

But especially in these lower focal lengths so much goes into engineering a lens design... who knows what makes one focal length just that bit easier to get right and another much more difficult. Lens design is a very complicated matter and to some extent it gets easier with longer focal lengths, once you exceed the lens elements to sensor plane distance by enough. For short focal lengths I wouldn't be able to tell which focal length is easiest to make, 12, 14, 17, 19, 20, 25... but after that it starts getting better.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow