What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,280Gear list
Like?
Very well said! Thanks.
In reply to thecraftysnapper, 11 months ago

thecraftysnapper wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

It would be great if owner feedback is supported by test measurements, which happens for all the trully excellent lenses. Relying on word of mouth alone is not what I want to do. In this case, the feedback is not only unsupported by optical test measurements of reliable reviewers but it is contradicted by those measurements.

While that may be the ideal , I would imagine most photographers are to busy enjoying taking images in the real world and drawing conclusions from real world images, shooting test images and graphs would be like water torture to me. I've seen the 45 f1.8 not get stellar reviews on some sites but I'm still amazed when I take a image in the real world with it. Enjoy what you have lifes to short to worry about what you don't have.:)

When I get a new lens I always start out with a brick wall upside down test to find obvious signs of decentering. Most times the lens (when not decentered) tends to not blow me away. But then I start taking real-world pictures and tend to be happy with them. I have only been surprised by sharpness 3 times so far: the first time was with the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 but that was not so surprising given the price of the lens; the second time was with the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 but that was also a disappointment because all 5 copies I tried had only 3 sharp corners out of 4 (and not always the same corners); the third time was with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 which I find stunningly sharp across the frame.

I do consider reviews and mostly look at Photozone. So far with all the lenses I bought so far in the past 10 years my experience has matched Photozone's findings. Still, the numbers do not convey the joy of using a lens (or the lack thereof).

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow