Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529
Like?
In praise of a slightly dated camera
Sep 2, 2013

We were enjoying a quiet preprandial wee dram last evening on our back porch, which is surrounded by large trees. Suddenly, all of the birds in the trees went berserk, screeching, cawing, scolding, diving, fluttering. Looking to see what caused all of this, we did not need to look far:

Who, me? Who?

Although I have been playing mostly with the XF1 of late, the 100 mm equivalent reach of the XF1's lens at maximum extension was inadequate. So I brought out our four-year-old F70EXR, extended its lens to 270 mm equivalent, and shot in Pro Low Light mode, which makes four exposures in quick succession, and integrates them in-camera. Fortunately, our friend did not move much.

I -think- that this is a Northern Spotted Owl, a threatened species that has been unjustly blamed for the loss of timber industry jobs in the Pacific Northwest, and is widely reviled therefore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Spotted_Owl  Please correct me if I have misidentified this fellow.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow