What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,415Gear list
Like?
I guess you're not kidding... then look at dxomark as well
In reply to texinwien, Sep 2, 2013

texinwien wrote:

Paul De Bra wrote:

Lenstip makes the 17mm look worse than e.g. photozone.

By using exempli gratia (e.g.) in this sentence, you are directly implying that photozone is one representative testing site of multiple such sites that make the 17mm look better than Lenstip.

I don't tend to look at many sites... But now I checked out dxomark as well.

We again have to make do with what is there. The 20mm was not reviewed. The 12, 17 and 25 are. Results... The 12 and 17 both score an overall 19 and the 25 scores 21. Yes the 12 scores higher on resolution than the 17, but the question is how much that difference is in terms of actual perceived sharpness.

Nobody is disputing here that the 17mm is being outperformed by the 12mm, 20mm, 25mm and maybe others in that range. The OP's original complaint is that Olympus should have done *quite a bit better* for the same price. That is a very difficult question/complaint to judge.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow