What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,521Gear list
Like?
Re: Goal? Hope for result from discussion?
In reply to Optimus47, Sep 2, 2013

Optimus47 wrote:

I'm not too sure about the goal of this post.

Maybe you could articulate what specifically you are trying to achieve, discuss or obtain consensus? (I seem to remember this discussion from several months back. Deja vu?)

1) If your goal is to hope that someone at Olympus is listening and will start producing a new lens, based on "forum outrage", I wouldn't bother.

Online forums are rife with both valid and invalid complaints. After a while, it all become white noise that most companies and manufacturers ignore.

2) The 17mm 1.8 is designed to reach a certain price point and market. People are already complaining about the EP5 and 17mm kit being too expensive.

It is unlikely Olympus will ever produce a better 17mm, which is better performing at a lower price point. Sorry, it is not gonna happen. (Mirror less sales are struggling...)

3) If your goal is obtain consensus at Dpreview that the 17mm 1.8 is a "lemon", well..., again, good luck with that losing proposition. For every one post of agreement, there may be 10 posts of disagreement, unless the lens is truly a universal stinker and very, very bad.

People believe what they believe and it is unlikely for you to change their opinion.

4) If your goal is to ask for alternative "35mm equivalent" for M43, the conclusion is rather clear.

It does not currently exist for M43, so you are better off switching systems to one that has a 35mm that meets your needs.

Time to move on to a Leica or a system that uses Sigma's 35mm 1.4 (which has been very well reviewed).

Or you have no choice but to be patient and happy with the lenses that you have.

The goal is to get attention of potential solution providers and to raise awareness.  Olympus seems to be listening to complaints if the new E-M1 and 12-40mm are any guide.  It needs to know it got caught out this time.  More information and alternative views cannot be bad for people still considering the lens, before all the owner experts influence them too much, just because they own the products and should know best.  I know I won't get consensus, but if this helps to alert some potential buyers, that's not a bad thing.  Some of those who are defending their expensive purchase in this very thread could be spared the pain of the realisation that it is not a good buy and spared also the need for denial and self delusion and justification posts to ease that pain, if they had seen my initial post 6 months ago.  Too late, but it's not too late for numerous other visitors to these forums.  Of course, I am also hoping to confirm my view with those who actually know better, or to be convinced otherwise, i.e. proven wrong with reasonable arguments and not just personal feelings.

I don't think switching systems is the option because there is still hope and M43 is the best mirrorless system.  Schneider has an AF 14mm f/2 coming, though it is way too expensive and a bit too wide, e.g. it would mean having to get uncomfotably close in street shooting.  It is possible Tamron or Sigma might see the opportunity.  If everybody just accept what is given to them, or disallow dissenting voices, it would be a bad use of these forums.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow