Oh no ! Not another Iridient Developper test !

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skygkar
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Oh no ! Not another Iridient Developper test !
10 months ago

Well, I'm afraid it is.... I've read numerous reviews / tests in the web, but I felt like sharing my own thoughts after I tested (and finally bought) Iridient Developer 2.2 (ID). Nothing scientific here....

I use Lightroom for more than 2 years now, as I have a Sony A77 for which LR gives me complete satisfaction for raw development.

A X100S owner for 3 weeks now, I was quite happy with the way LR5 developed my RAF files, with sometime some concerns about sharpness that I believed were mostly caused by the learning curve of manually focusing with my new toy. Well, it appeared that it was not always the case.

Two examples here.

Background : the RAF files are developed straight by LR5, no PP. the TIFF files are conversions from ID, with all options ticked off : no sharpening, no noise reduction, no distortion correction, etc... TIFF are imported within LR, pictures below are LR screen captures of the file being 100% zoomed in. LR first (RAF) then ID (TIF)

1) Moire (my perception). LR struggles with the texture on that window while ID does a very good job at it. Tested on a small print, it does change the overall perception of that window.

LR 5 :

ID 2.2 :

2) Sharpness. While I thought I didn't quite nailed the focus on that door knob, it appeared that this is the LR engine that gave most of that soft look. I could have done a better job, but still a great improvement over LR.

LR 5 :

ID 2.2 :

I tried to achieve the same results as ID in LR5 through the develop module. I would say that 50% of the time, I can get a similar result by sharpening the picture. But not always and with sometimes some obvious side effects.

Do I think that ID is a must buy ? It really depends what you shoot and what you do with your pictures.

First, you could be happy with the "out of camera" jpegs, which are really really great, and have none of the problems faced when developing RAF files in LR.

Second, the difference does not always show on prints or screen, you really have to test by yourself.

That was my 2 cents.....

Laurent

skygkar's gear list:skygkar's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4 +1 more
Fujifilm X100S Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow