Sony NEX-6 Benchmark Test?

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Questions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,808Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-6 Benchmark Test?
In reply to justincarlson, Sep 2, 2013

justincarlson wrote:

I'm about half a month out of the return period for Amazon, but I've emailed Sony to see if they have any sort of warranty for these lenses.

Justin:

I don't think there's anything wrong with your lens.

Read my comments - neither of your test images were good tests. One was shot at too high an ISO, and one was shot way over water in diffraction range for this lens. I see evidence of both errors on the two images you bravely submitted. Most who complain about this and other lenses don't have the courage to submit more than their unsubstantiated comments.

You could, of course, like so many here, begin the snipe hunt for a better copy, although as I explained, in this era of software-designed lenses, the repeatability of manufacturing is astonishing.

As I noted, there are those who would postulate that lens making is like souffle making, and some made by the same recipe come out differently. While possible, not probable. If you hear hoofbeats outside your window at night, it could be a zebra, or even a unicorn. But neither is a probable explanation.

Those who finally get a good copy are learning more about the camera and lens as they pursue their Quixotic search for a "better copy." And as a result of their testing and testing, get better. And what they find at the end of their search is not truly a better lens, but a better photographer.

Should you choose to contact Sony, they will likely ask you to send them your lens for testing. That leads to one of two probable and a third possible result:

1. They will tell you there's nothing wrong with your lens - after 2-3 weeks.

2. They will send you a "refurbished" or "recertified" replacement. That's one that really had something wrong with it, and they "fixed" it. You could end up with a worse lens than you sent them.

3. Least probable, but possible - they will send you a brand spanking new lens

Before I'd go down that path, Justin, I'd want to be darn sure there was something really wrong with your lens. I don't think you're quite there yet.

If you'd like to send me some original OOC jpegs or raw images not processed by the DPREVIEW display algorithms, send me a private message and I'll respond with my email address.

Mel

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow