Sony NEX-6 Benchmark Test?

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Questions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-6 Benchmark Test?
In reply to wfektar, Sep 2, 2013

wfektar wrote:

It's not bad but I agree, it's not critically sharp. But before you write the lens off as a bad copy (or a bad design) try it at around f/5.6 or f/8. Ideally on a tripod or at least well-braced. At f/13 you're well in diffraction territory (although it seems to me it's still a bit soft even so.) That's not to say f/13 is never a good idea, but it's a bad one for assessing lens sharpness.

I agree. I think he also needs to check his camera settings.

Also, shooting long range in diffraction territory over water is a BAD way to judge a lens. Even on a cloudless day, the water vapor acts to kill sharpness unless the wind is really strong, which this image suggests it isn't.

The best way to test a lens in on a good day with good lighting and subject about 15-50 feet away, with the lens set just a few stops past wide open. Here's a lens-test example under better conditions than his tests - deliberately composed to reveal any evidence of the edge distortion, unsharpness, vignetting and CA claimed by detractors of this lens:

This OOC jpeg sort of slays the lousy-lens arguments for me.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow