What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 995Gear list
Like?
Re: You must have seen (or had) bad copies?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Sep 2, 2013

I don't get it. There are two very good lenses: 20mm f/1.7 vs. 17mm f/1.8.

The 20mm is the slightly better image quality, but inferior in other things.

The 17mm delivers pleasing image quality, I do suppose it's not as special in that regard as the 20mm, but it is beyond excellent at taking pictures in all kinds of difficult situations like few lenses can. Ordinary? Hardly.

See, I feel like there are probably two kinds of photographs: 1) those that capture a fleeting moment, and 2) those that are carefully set up. I feel like the technical prowess of a lens is not particularly important when it comes to capturing moments that are passing. It's important to capture a less than perfect image of the moment, as long as it is in focus and basically correctly captured, than to be unable to capture it at all. The 17mm f/1.8 is PERFECT for that. I really doubt you're going to find another 35mm equivalent lens solution right now, aside from DSLR (possibly), that can get you that kind of quick response and fast performance in all kinds of situations. For everything else, there is the 20mm, when the visual quality matters more than getting the picture in the first place.

Yes, it would be great if one day there was a lens that could do it all, but it's not like the Panasonic 20mm is all that dire when it comes to AF speed and hunting. Yes, I complain about it because there is a better solution in 17mm f/1.8 for my kind of shooting, but it is still faster than the Canon 22mm, for instance. And the X100S isn't all that fast or accurate, either. 20mm is about twice as slow as the 17mm, I would say, but that basically puts it on the same level as most other mirrorless solutions at that focal length. Watch any real world test of even the mighty RX1. It's no better than the 20mm at AF speed/accuracy.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow