What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
enrique santa
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
Re: What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Sep 2, 2013

Hi Sergey. I remember a similar post from you about six month ago.

In several months and if you can spend that amount of money you would like to try the new Schenider 14mm.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/06/15/new-high-end-lenses-for-micro-43-on-the-way-from-schneider-kreuznach-and-olympus/

Any case I think you are so negative. I´m not going to include firt class zooms but your list in a more positive way:

1. Olympus 17mm f/2.8 - Cheap, little size a weight, sharp from 4.o to 8.0

2. Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 - Very good resolution. It is however slightly wide but OK. This lens is a bit slow, for some kind of photography.

3. Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 - Very sharp, though slight,y uneven across the frame, but still impressive in IQ. Very good speed too. slow af for some kind of photography.

4. Sigma 19mm f/2.8 - Also quite sharp, fast and quiet AF too and good value. This lens is a bit slow, for some kind of photography.

5. Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 - Excellent speed and bokeh. A very nice lens indeed. All good, except that it is 50mm equivalent FL, which, perhaps for some people, is not ideal for a general purpose walk-about lens and restricting for buildings, landscape, travels or when you want to get closer and more intimate with your subjects.

6. Nockton 17.5mm f/0.5. - Beautifully piece of metal and glass and great specs. Excellent dreamy bokeh. The lack of AF plus the weight and size, make a plus for some people , but pehaps not for others. Expensive.

7. Olympus 17mm f/1.8 - A good value for what it offers. Significant field of curvature problem consultancial with his FL. This lens was trashed by lens tip and since this moment began the controversy. The fact is for the rest of the testers the lens is well made and from sharp to very sharp , and a demon in af speed.(dox mark pointed it at 19- pl 25mm 1,4 20). Most of the owners confirms this point.

So unless you like others consider all the oly 17mm 1.8 unicellular brained people that are "defending their purchage" ,stupid since you can return or sell the lens, you would seen in numerous post that usually people is happy or very satisfaied wiht it, me include.

So wait for the Scheider if you want af and pay for the German made or try de 20mm 1.7 or oly 17mm 1.8 and decide yourself.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --
 enrique santa's gear list:enrique santa's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow