What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,478Gear list
Like?
Re: You must have seen (or had) bad copies?
In reply to Paul De Bra, 10 months ago

Paul De Bra wrote:

All good points, but in this case I do feel that it should not be hard to get something quite a bit better, especially considering the price and the significance of this particular FL.

This statement sure sounds like whichever lens among the many you listed you actually used or have seen images from must have been bad.

"quite a bit better" considering the price sure does not apply to reasonably good copies of the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 or the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. I'm sure it is possible to make lenses that are "a bit better" at reasonable additional cost, but I don't see the opportunity for "quite a bit better" given that in m43 we are still at 16MP with bayer-pattern sensors, so it sounds like you are asking for the impossible.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

On the contrary, what I am asking should be completely possible. There are lenses with FL that score quite a bit higher in MTF figures. Check the Lenstip reviews for this lens and compare with the CV 17mm f/0.95 and the Panasonic 20mm (a pancake!), or with Olympus' own 12mm. Check also the other reviews I mentioned. Some of them have very detailed figures that can be directly compared to similar lenses. I am not going to repeat myself or bother replying if people just talking out of thin air.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow