What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,537Gear list
Like?
Re: What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?
In reply to Elix, Sep 2, 2013

Elix wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

AustinB wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

5. Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 - Excellent speed and bokeh. A very nice lens indeed. All good, except that it is 50mm equivalent FL, which is not ideal for a general purpose walk-about lens and restricting for buildings, landscape, travels or when you want to get closer and more intimate with your subjects.

50mm is great for a general purpose walk-around lens!

Sure is. 50mm was the standard kit lens for decades!

It is also the "reference length" for FT and mFT. I use it a lot and it's just great for pretty much everything.

Thanks. OK, many have suggested the 25mm. As I mentioned also in my first post, the 25mm is a very nice lens, but it is not all that suitable for anyone who wants a 17mm lens. The difference in FOV is very significant, so is the DOF, and also the shutter speed requirement to avoid blurry shots. These are all signifcant considerations for those needing a 35mm equivalent lens. I do wish there was an equivalent 17mm lens from Panasonic made to the same standard as its 25mm, which is really in use not the same, e.g. in street shooting, or when you want to get close enough to the subject to isolate distractions, or rely on the greater DOF and/or less shutter speed requirements for quick candids even in available light shots.

I don't believe it is or it should be the "reference lengtrh" for FT and MFT.  Maybe you can tell me why or how that came about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow