Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,128
Like?
Re: GH3 low light indoor acrobatic show
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Sep 2, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Pete Berry wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Strange to get flack for ignoring your post for 5 hours in the middle of a long weekend

Anyway, I find these to be rather over exposed. I shoot a lot of concerts stealthily and handling the extreme dynamic range of hot lights on some parts of the stage and no light on others is really tricky.

I have come up with a method that seems to work really well for any camera that has manual control -- even the tiniest of sensors ... as documented here:

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2010/09/important-tips-for-your-photography.html

Scroll down to the section marked "shooting concerts" ...

-- hide signature --

Strange, I find these images about as well exposed as possible under the terrible circus lighting conditions - certainly not overall overexposed. Well done, HiFi!

We're each more or less sensitive to exposure issues. I do not like burnt highlights. If you don't mind them then by all means shoot that way.

I would not sacrifice significant shadow detail in subjects to avoid blown random specular or spot highlights in stage lighting. You obviously choose otherwise.

But I do find your blog stage shots all significantly underexposed, except for the last, particularly the three "portraits" with plugged, noisy shadows. And none of your examples show the stage lighting challenges the OP faced except for overall intensity.

Are you using a calibrated monitor? Because I am, and it sounds like you have a terrifically incorrect white point. These images probably look fine to you, although you should check the areas of detail-free grey as those are detail free white on my monitors

You seem confused about white point, which governs monitor tint, but not the white saturation level you are referring to - a totally separate deal that is the luminance input point at which your monitor saturates to white.

If you are referencing the performer in the white shirt in images #1 and 2 and you are seeing the shirt as detail-free white (I see it as greyish with some variation and detail) then you have a serious problem with monitor reaching white saturation in the 230-40 range rather that at 255/255/255. Measuring the shirt color numbers in PS6 with a point sample never gets out of the mid 230's - very light grey. In fact, it's hard to find truly blown highlights to any degree by measurement in any of the OP's images.

You might find the Lagom monitor white saturation test very revealing:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

From you comments, I suspect you will see only white in most of the checkerboards. Which would make you very sensitive to highlights! I see the grey all the way down to level 254, as it should be. My black sat. is not quite as good, separating down to a still pretty good level 3. And yes, my monitor is meticulously calibrated for printing with an excellent print/monitor match - including highlight and shadow detail - under my 4700K Solux viewing light...

Perhaps he might have some tips for you?

Snotty comment acknowledged. You are very clever, at least according to you.

Clever enough to see the probable motivation for your dismissive post, which was to bathe him in the brilliance of your blog when it's obvious to me, and probably others, that he has handled the complexities of stage lighting better than most of your much less demanding, but technically poorer examples show.

Get your monitors calibrated as there is no point having this discussion if you are seeing what you say you are seeing ...

!!!

PB

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow