What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,513Gear list
Like?
Re: If you just want 17mm, get a Fuji X100, otherwise...
In reply to Paul De Bra, Sep 2, 2013

You should realize that review sites often test a single copy of a lens model, and at best a few copies. Their results are not necessarily representative for the average copy and most likely not representative for the better copies.

I am rather critical of my lenses. I have the 20mm f/1.7 and it is definitely not uneven across the frame. In fact, its strength is that it is very even across the frame. It seems that Panasonic sacrificed a potentially sharper center for better edge/corner performance. Also, shot to shot this lens is not slow to AF. It is only slow if it needs to go all the way from close to infinity or back. The only flaw I find in this lens is that it isn't 17mm.

When you are overly critical you can never find an affordable lens that satisfies your criteria. Seriously, when you are looking specifically for this focal length, look for a fixed-lens camera with that focal length, like the Fuji X100 (aps-c) or the Sony RX1 (35mm full frame).

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

All good points, but in this case I do feel that it should not be hard to get something quite a bit better, especially considering the price and the significance of this particular FL.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow