Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,145Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 low light indoor acrobatic show
In reply to Pete Berry, Sep 2, 2013

Pete Berry wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Strange to get flack for ignoring your post for 5 hours in the middle of a long weekend

Anyway, I find these to be rather over exposed. I shoot a lot of concerts stealthily and handling the extreme dynamic range of hot lights on some parts of the stage and no light on others is really tricky.

I have come up with a method that seems to work really well for any camera that has manual control -- even the tiniest of sensors ... as documented here:

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2010/09/important-tips-for-your-photography.html

Scroll down to the section marked "shooting concerts" ...

-- hide signature --

Strange, I find these images about as well exposed as possible under the terrible circus lighting conditions - certainly not overall overexposed. Well done, HiFi!

We're each more or less sensitive to exposure issues. I do not like burnt highlights. If you don't mind them then by all means shoot that way.

But I do find your blog stage shots all significantly underexposed, except for the last, particularly the three "portraits" with plugged, noisy shadows. And none of your examples show the stage lighting challenges the OP faced except for overall intensity.

Are you using a calibrated monitor? Because I am, and it sounds like you have a terrifically incorrect white point. These images probably look fine to you, although you should check the areas of detail-free grey as those are detail free white on my monitors

Perhaps he might have some tips for you?

Snotty comment acknowledged. You are very clever, at least according to you.

Get your monitors calibrated as there is no point having this discussion if you are seeing what you say you are seeing ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow