Starter studio lighting set, Elinchrom or Walimex?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,064Gear list
Like?
Re: Starter studio lighting set, Elinchrom or Walimex?
In reply to Dimitris Servis, 10 months ago

I have seen lots of comments about problems with the Elinchrom D-Lite RF trigger system and with very poor service from Elinchrom. If I had to buy Elinchrom I would look at there better quality, and unfortunately higher priced, lights.

I can't comment on the Walimex since I'm not familiar with them.

Have you considered Bowens lights? They have a set of beginner lights in the same price range as those from Elinchrom and I haven't seen the number of bad reports on their lights as I have on the Elinchrom D-Lites.

200Ws is a bit low in power for studio work. It means using ISO 200 at a minimum to get f/8 with a medium sized modifier. I recommend 300-400Ws with a minimum of 5 stops of power control. A wide power range is necessary so you can shoot at f/8 or f/11 and also open up the aperture for a small depth of field.

Whatever you buy be sure to buy good quality. Don't make the mistake I did the first time of buying low quality because of low price. The lights quickly wound up in the trash, a total waste of my money. I wrote the following article to help others avoid my costly mistake.

Sailorblue - Digital Photography Review - Equipment Guide for Setting up a Small Home Portrait/Glamor Studio

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow