ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sapple
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
What color lens filters are useful?
11 months ago

Hello,

I am thinking of buying some color lens filters. When I started looking at was available I found there are quite a few different types and now I am wondering which ones are actually still useful. It seems many of the filters were first created as a way of countering the characteristics of certain film types when your camera is already loaded with a film and you need to move to a different type of setting.

Of course digital cameras do not have this issue. However it seems that certain filters can still be very useful in emphasizing the sky or certain lighting conditions. When I look at sets of filters I see ones that contain LOTS of colors that I am unsure how to use like a pink gradient or a green gradient.

So my question is, does anyone here use filters? And if so what filters do you recommend someone have?

I purchased a red filter which I understand is helpful for emphasizing things in black and white photography which I want to do more of. I am thinking of purchasing a blue gradient, yellow gradient, and gray gradient because I understand they can be useful at emphasizing the sky or ground in certain situations.

I tend to take a lot of pictures of landscapes and a few macro shots.

Thank you for any advice.

sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow