Photographer faces law suit

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
mikiev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
Being self-employed won't keep you from being sued
In reply to geoffmalter, Sep 1, 2013

geoffmalter wrote:

Are you serious??! One of the joys of being self employed is being able to choose who you want to do business with. And I laud her for her honesty as to why, even though I don't necessarily agree with her reason.

Owner of a bakery near where I live, in Oregon, was just sued for refusing to sell a wedding cake for a lesbian wedding.

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2013/08/lesbian_couple_refused_wedding.html

Rachel N. Cryer, 30, said she had gone to the Gresham bakery on Jan. 17 for a scheduled appointment to order a wedding cake. She met with the owner, Aaron Klein.

Klein asked for the date of the wedding and names of the bride and groom, Cryer said.

"I told him, 'There are two brides and our names are Rachel and Laurel,' " according to her complaint.

Klein responded that his business does not provide its services for same-sex weddings, she said.

"Respondent cited a religious belief for its refusal to make cakes for same-sex couples planning to marry," the complaint says.

The owner of the bakery may win in court, but he still has to defend himself against the suit.

mikiev's gear list:mikiev's gear list
Epson Stylus Photo R2880
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow