Which is the Best mirror less camera for portrait photography?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,307Gear list
Like?
Re: Which is the Best mirror less camera for portrait photography?
In reply to Ed B, 11 months ago

Ed B wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

I disagree with just using a centre focusing point and then recompose. In my experience, it is much better to have a single selectable focus point and then place it on the nearest eye to get focus on that.

Your method is fine.

Just never use multiple focus points, as one other poster suggested, for portraits.

The important thing is the single focus point.

The one thing I don't like about your method is that it causes you to move your focus point for each individual pose.

It actually doesn't give any better focus than the center point/recompose method but can be a little more time consuming and tedious.

Just the same, I suppose it's a matter of individual preference.

I'm not so sure about the focus and recompose method giving good results. It very much depends on the lens being used and the DOF available. If the lens has as flat plane of focus and focus is taken from the center focus point, recomposing will mean that the plane of focus will move behind the point where you want to focus. It has been explained in great length in other threads on DPR, look it up yourself. If you have lots of DOF, it probably won't show, but with very shallow DOF, it could mean the difference between failure and success.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow