Which is the Best mirror less camera for portrait photography?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,913
Like?
Re: Why autofocus points help in portrait photography
In reply to Anderton, 11 months ago

Anderton wrote:

Well I have to disagree with you on one point.

I don't know any (and I mean any) good portrait photographers who shoot with multiple auto focus points.

Center focus point---focus and recompose or use manual focus. It's been done that way for years.

I think you need to educate yourself in modern camera features and depth of field. Centre focus can be accurate for older generation photographers who had only had access to a single point, slow narrow aperture lenses and are resistant to change.

Interesting analysis.

By recomposing after focusing your accuracy drops especially with today's more common faster lenses and sharper depth of fields.

Please explain where this is coming from. If your subject isn't moving how would your accuracy decrease? How would depth of field be affected?

You can use manual focus lens in combination with the "focus peaking" software, however this has some drawbacks such as visibility of the focus points in different lighting conditions and for moving portrait photos i.e. working with non-professional subjects, kids, pets, etc where a fast autofocus and good lens combination will allow you to get the shot more often than not.

Moving portrait photos of kids, pet, etc. are not portraits; They're snapshots.

In other words, modern day cameras give you more options than ever to get that portrait shot that you want

Modern day cameras incorporate many features that help an amateur get results that are good enough. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't confuse easy or "good enough" with "best".

Firstly, educate yourself on disadvantages relying on focus recompose using the "centre focus point", how it interacts with depth of field, and why autofocus can help achieve photographers "manual focus" cannot.

Secondly, reread the original poster's requirements for JPEG shooting and fast workflow.

At that point you may grasp that fact that their needs using today's modern camera features are more important than you "not knowing any good photographer who uses multiple autofocus points" and you may realise that you could do more to assist them in their enquiry instead of pretending to be pseudo-elitist with your next comment.

I am sure the original poster understands.

You're a prime example of why photographers seldom post to these forums but I'll bow to your expertise and your in-depth knowledge of photography.

Thanks for your insight and for setting me straight.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow