Panasonic GH3 or Sony A77 for video?

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Questions thread
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 or Sony A77 for video?
In reply to ntsan, Sep 1, 2013

ntsan wrote:

GH3

-4 hours continuous video recording in 1 charge (vs ~90min from other manufacturers)

-No over heating over long period of time (Sony early SLT and all NEX are prone to overheat when it goes to 30min on recording)

-IPB and All Intra provide clear image even when there is lots of movement/complex scene around, all other camera will show macro blocking (Olympus being the worst offender) due to limited bandwidth.

-Moire is less on Panasonic than other brand

Sony is real bad at overheating! In fact I had 2 Sony Nex cams, I could never get either one to record to 29 minutes! I sold my complete Nex-7 system and all the glass because it would shut down without warning to many times to count, after 6 minutes, 3 minutes, 10 minutes. Sony never did own up to this serious problem that they masked out by slick marketing statements.

I was very disappointed in the Nex line. I now have a GH3 that I mainly use for video, Very Very nice camera. It's not quirk free either, You just have to make adjustments and small sacrifices to get around the quirks. The biggest gripe right now on the GH3 is the monitoring on the LCD screen turns off very shortly when videoing. Kind of a major pain., and you can't adjust it or keep it on in the menu setup screen. I do think it will be fixed in Firmware, which I must say Panasonic has been pretty responsive to the GH3 user base.

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow