Beginner question on Lightening a scene

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
New MemberPosts: 6
Beginner question on Lightening a scene
Sep 1, 2013

I'm a complete ''noob'' as they say when it comes to Photography and Filmmaking. I just bought my first Camera , the sony a57 , and now i need the rest of the equipement.

I`ve read that the best lights to use if you are on a small budget like i am are CFL lights. i know i need a Key light, Fill light and Back light. BUT once i arrived at Canadian Tire i realized i have absolutly no clue how many watts i need for each lights. the CFL lights went from 13watts to 100watts so the range is quite large. i know the key light must be the brightest but how bright? and what about the Fill and Back lights ? or is it even a relevant question ?!

as you can see, i am quite confuse so feel free to laugh at my inexperience but some advice would be greatly appricated.

If its any help i will mostly be working indoor in rooms with a dimension of 14ft(l) X 12ft(w) x 8ft(h) and 16ft X 11ft x 7ft so i will never be more then ten ft away from the subject

one room has limited to no light from windows since its in a basement

the other room can be fully lighted by sunlight

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge with me

This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow