Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sierra Dave
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
Warranty for the 12-60/2.8-4.0?
Sep 1, 2013

So I've suffered another SWD motor failure in my 12-60.  I'm not quite ready to give up on the 12-60 for good as it's still far and away the best all-around option I've found, but it's been out of warranty since the beginning (I got it secondhand) and adding up what I've spent in repairs on that lens, I could have gotten a new one, even at the current MSRP.

From what I understand, I can get the extended Olympus warranty and apply it to any Olympus lens that's still in it's original warranty period, including refurbished ones (they have a 90 day warranty).  Time was when there were such refurbs all over eBay, but current searches have found precious little, and no 12-60s.

So does anybody have suggestion for how to get ahold of a 12-60, with an original factory warranty, for less than the current unreasonable price of $1000?

Alternatively, are there any legitimate 3rd party extended warranties out there?  Basically, some way to avoid the $200-300 charge every year or two resulting from a dead SWD motor or detached front-elemnt.

Or is it time to throw in the towel and start looking at other lenses.

Thanks,

\~Dave

Sierra Dave's gear list:Sierra Dave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow