Pentax 17-70 f4 or 18-135 WR

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Questions thread
Fabio Pirovano
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax 17-70 f4 or 18-135 WR
In reply to grahamdyke, 10 months ago

grahamdyke wrote:

I have owned pretty much all of these lenses, with the exception of the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and used them on K10D, K20D and now the K-5.

Initially had the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5, not a bad lens optically but did have some focusing issues.

I replaced this with a Pentax 17-70 f/4 which was very mediocre both optically and focus wise and the SDM gave out two weeks after I sold it!

Rreplaced it with the, then new, Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 HSM/OS, this was a very good lens, nice and sharp and no focusing problems. I kept this for quite a while and was very happy with it.

I then bought the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, but my copy was bad, I mean real bad, sent to Tamron and was slightly better on return, but was still pretty hopless optically and what a noise! It went back for a refund.

Eventually sucumbed to the charms of the Pentax 16-50 f/2.8 DA*, I love this lens colour reproduction, it's nice and sharp, although the extreme corners at f/2.8 are nothing to write home about. Focusing is pretty swift and have not had any SDM issues, oh and its big and heavy! But it is still with me, sometimes you just have to suffer...

I also have the Pentax 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 DA WR and I have to say I love this little lens, it's acceptably sharp accross the frame right out untill about 110mm, then it gets a bit out of it's depth, bless. Colour is great and that DC focusing makes it the fastest focusing lens I own and silent too boot. It's tiny and very light, but well put together and of course WR. This lens goes everywhere.

Must just say that with the exception of the Pentax 18-135 every one of the above lenses, bought from new, had to be sent in for servicing after initial testing, because of some BF/FF, or decentering issue, but with the exception of the Tamron 17-50 all came back fixed ok.

Pentax 17-70 f4 or 18-135 WR, no contest 18-135 wins hands down, very under rated lens...

-- hide signature --

Graham Dyke

I got K30+18-135 wr and now,thanks to your lines, I know that I can't waste money I got the best; just thinking about f 2.8 could be better in any situation so and at least I will heading to Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 HSM/OS.. thank you so much!

-- hide signature --

FP

Fabio Pirovano's gear list:Fabio Pirovano's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-30 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow