Some HS50 shots for C&C

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705Gear list
Like?
Re: Some HS50 shots for C&C
In reply to Lightpath48, Sep 1, 2013

Lightpath48 wrote:

My reference is X10 since I don't own an HS50, but would it be possible for you to set raw + jpeg, M, ISO 100 and DR 400? ISO 100 would help, I think. Also, try dropping exposure down by a 1/3 or even 2/3 factor for landscapes. It reduces the highlight clipping on reflective surfaces of leaves, etc. Here's a sample of those settings (X10)

Yes, that's possible, all of these shots had those settings, except for the ISO. Does ISO400 really screw things up that much? I usually shoot at -0.3ev (it was also necessary on most Olympus DSLRs). My processing in LR seems to find that clipping isn't generally a serious issue with the HS50 though, and all recovery sliders were mostly well within the boundaries when adjusted.

I think it looks like there's just too much detail lost with the high ISO noise here. I should be used to that, as again, all the Olympus cameras suffered with ISO noise above 400, and it was general practice to fix them to 100.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using FujiFilm HS50EXR and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow