ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704Gear list
Like?
Some HS50 shots for C&C
Sep 1, 2013

Hi all,

Got out and about a bit yesterday, and decided to try out some of the EXR techniques I've read from articles posted here.

Seems to me that the HS50 is getting a rather mixed bag of praise and criticism. One big topic seems to be regarding the way to set this up.

I decided to go out and try out the differences between shooting in L and M size, and leave the DR setting to 400, and ISO to Auto400 (the two latter are as recommended in one article at least). Mostly to see what the difference is on this model. Having read through a fair bit of material now, I find that there's both good information, and conflicting information. Many suggest that you need to shoot in M to get the best from the EXR sensor, but I have also seen comments that this may not apply to the HS50 sensor.

Having tried both sizes, I have to say I can't really see that much difference, although if anything the L images seem to me to have a bit more detail. The only thing I would have changed would have been the ISO setting. Until I re-read an article later, I didn't know that it would bung it straight to ISO400, which is a little on the noisy side for my tastes.

However, I've a few shots here for persual, hopefully some reasonable critique and discussion. They're all processed in LightRoom 5, using only as much adjustments as needed to clean them up a bit.

The first few are all M.

And these are all L.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using FujiFilm HS50EXR and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow