RAW Troublemaker Again

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Thanks for sharing this Gary !
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Aug 31, 2013

Unfortunately, like all prudent professionals, I shoot raw+jpeg.

But, after about 15 years as a reprographer, I can confirm that the in-camera .jpeg is the state of the art of demosaicing from factory. And that can be explained easily. It's only from the field that the camera can get the best optimization with all parameters (in PP is sometimes to late to optimize all parameters, according to DR of the sensor imho, because it's simply impossible to do a sort of real time photon-race behind your computer ahaha...)

Sure — except if it's required — I don't do "Art" when I demosaicing in PP, only trying to see and reproduce what I get from the main scene at his best.

And I tell that after a waste of time of thousands hours in PP, trying a lot of different methods, all what I conclude, is that the in-camera jpeg (when all is perfect about exposure) are REALLY FAT compared to demosaized raw in PP, yes, fat and full of details, colours and extended DR.

But I assume some .raw shooter can get the best from them workflow (when they PP a few and use CIE-lab or something), it's just a question of skills and time you want to spend for... no?

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ChetNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow