RAW Troublemaker Again

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Excellent example, stevo23. For years I stuck to...
In reply to Alan_S, Aug 31, 2013

Alan_S wrote:

...jpg-only, but reading many similar threads like this one intrigued me. During a June 2010 trip to Yellowstone National Park I decided to give RAW+JPG a try, to see if RAW would work for me. This is the shot that convinced me (and I've posted it a few times before, "bear" with me if you've already seen it ). Happened upon this rare close/safe opportunity at about 30 meters, with the 70-400G mounted to my brand new a850, on a monopod. Shooting wide open f/5.6 on a dark, cloudy, misty, morning I had to bump the ISO up to 1600 to muster a shutter speed of 1/320 @ 400mm. This is a 100% view of the OOC jpg + the image I was able to process from the same RAW file.

Left: OOC JPG ... Right: processed from RAW in ACR & Photoshop

Have conducted repeated similar comparisons, and repeat the process with the acquisition of each new camera body (a55, a77, a99), always with the same results.

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

And clearly this small image gives only a fraction of what you personally see. Thanks for the post!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ChetNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow