Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,399Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you really have to RAW??
In reply to splashy, 11 months ago

splashy wrote:

@Alan, don't get upset I respect Friedman as much as you do,

Page 519

that if you know what you’re doing and take the same care to keep your light right and exposure and color balance set properly for the situation as you did for slides, your final print from in-camera .jpg’s will look just as good as shooting with RAW and post-processing, only it will take significantly less time.

So please don't say it's 100 % fabricated, it's written in the book. It's a conclusion about Raw and Jpeg, not how I use them both.

Not upset splashy ... but you have to admit the above is a far cry from what you posted:

splashy wrote:

... in the A99 book Gary Friedman writes about the Raw question,

only use Raw when you need a backup or if something goes wrong (lighting)

He simply never stated that, not in your quote above, and not anywhere else in the book... In fact, he stated that he "sometimes" shoots jpg-only. Just setting the record straight!

And yeah, the Alphas have some cool features that work only in jpg mode. But the mindset that RAW mode is only for "fixing errors" is wrong, and Gary's book in no way implies that (in fact, he goes into great detail on obtaining better results from RAW in numerous scenarios). It is about the freedom to take more control and to take occasional artistic latitude.

It's not for everyone. My wife gets pretty good results in the AUTO mode... but she shoots RAW+JPG and asks me to process here favorite shots, always, without exception, with better results than the OOC.

-- hide signature --

--

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ChetNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow