Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 DIY filter holder (In progress)

Started Aug 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bing Chow
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?
Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 DIY filter holder (In progress)
Aug 31, 2013

I decided to build a filter holder for Lee 150 system. I don't have the 150x150mm ND or 150x170mm grads yet so the filter is in progress. I used 3/4 MDF because I figured it might be more dimensionally stable than wood, and I have tons laying 'round.

Here are my drawings

I screwed the work to a piece of scrap to enable cutting thru the work and to help stabilize the work to the table. Using a router, I cut the centre hole and thin the sides to minimize weight.

Here is it separated.

At this point, the dimensions are larger than the final size. Once I make the rails to hold the filters, i'll cut off the excess. Now the moment of truth.........

Perfect fit! I really lucked out! Just the right amount of friction to keep it from spinning. Too tight is better than too loose. I can always sand it bigger.

MDF is pretty easily damaged by water so once it's done, I will paint a sealer over it, followed by matte black paint. But next up, I will order a couple filter and get the rails made.

Stay tuned!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow