RAW Troublemaker Again

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
JusLookN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,909Gear list
Like?
Re: So the next time,
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, 8 months ago

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Thanks Rich, and I will try harder. But look at another example (couldn't resist - you guys told me that IDC does the same job as the camera processing, so I opened up a random shot that I had in both JPG and RAW, did the RAW in IDC with sharpening and - well, it didn't need anything else - but look at the RAW sharpening results vs the camera's JPG with a little Unsharp Mask applied):

Of course (as if you couldn't tell) the bottom one is the JPG. I could not get the RAW one as sharp within the IDC program. I could have applied Unsharp Mask after importing it into Photoshop, but wanted to show what each program can do by itself. These are 100% crops of a much larger image that I was shooting to test resolution.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Gary, the point to be made here is ; you added more sharpening to the jpeg which has already been cooked. Your comparison should have been with it exactly as you saw it compared to the processed raw file in IDC.  Let me make a statement here, because I have an uncle that went through the same thing.  He uses jpegs still because that's what he likes and he knows he is not proficient with Lightroom but is still learning.  At first, he thought that if he brought raw files into lightroom  with the default settings, and hit the automatic button in the basic module that everything had already been done.  You have to have the right camera profile and find the basic starting points that you use most often.  Or, start with the basic settings in Lightroom for Sony cams, then modify them to your liking and either do this all the time, or make your own profile.  What others are saying to the fact that it seems to take more time to process; is that once you have a profile tailored to the way you shoot most of the times, it only takes maybe one or two keystrokes to have your file done.  All of the other settings can be synced through the whole process if you feel you haven't changed the settings.  In other words, you kinda batch just like with jpegs. Most of us in this thread know exactly what you mean't with the thread title, and are trying to help explain the raw processing more since you are lacking.  But, let me state that you should pick one processor and stick with it, rather than try to use all of them.  Lightroom has most of the tools you need to do raw processing. And since you mentioned you have it, I would suggest you stick with that one.  It is hard for some at first.  Just don't try to convince yourself that you have a timetable to learn it.  My best suggestion is to get the Lightroom book for digital photography  written by Scott Kelby.  It does a really good job of explaining what everything does and shows you by example.  It also gives you some excercises to practice on.  Don't let anybody get you all bent out of shape in this thread.  Photography is supposed to be fun.  Learning is also supposed to be fun!  (kinda long-winded)  But have fun shooting and processing!  That's what it's all about!

-- hide signature --

Glenn
I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ChetNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow