Senior MemberPosts: 2,492Gear list
Like?
Re: RAW Troublemaker Again
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Aug 31, 2013

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Chet Meyerson wrote:

Gary,

I'M WITH YOU!

You knew you were asking for trouble when you started this thread. I don't shoot RAW and I certainly can on my a77 and my a99. The RAW fanatics on this forum really show their ignorance to the JPEG format-of today.

Yes thanks Chet. That was the idea of the title anyway. I was converted to the RAW religion in the last thread, and was schooled on the majority view about all that, so I was just trying a little humor with this time, but they are coming for me.

If I might interject my innocent opinion once again to a friendly member, I am still amazed at the difficulty and amount of work processing RAW is. I have seen how it has a greater dynamic range and can rescue a blown out image from disaster. I have seen how it can correct exposure and white balance. But all of the other controls need to be balanced against each other, such as sharpening (two different kinds) and noise reduction (many different kinds), and then there are those crazy Vibrance and Clarity sliders - wtf is that all about? Seems like if your exposure is anywhere near correct a little Levels and Unsharp Mask and "Remove Color Cast" work like magic.

Just do a little bit of reading about each of the settings and you will get a far better understanding as to what they do. It can be overwhelming at first, if not a bit daunting. But a little patience, a little reading, and it will all make sense. When you achieve this, working with RAW photos doesn't become so much of a chore.

Just to help get you started:

• Clarity affects the contrast in the midtones. This is done by increasing some of the edge detail in the midtones giving a general sharpening. This can aid in giving some punch or even bit of a 3D/separation effect with some images.  This is why a lot of clarity can create a very thick/defined edge throughout your picture and may even give it a gritty look.  Whereas negative clarity gives that glamour shoot kind of look.
  • Saturation works like it does everywhere else, it increases/decreases the saturation of all the colors.  I rarely use this, but when I do it is sparingly.
  • Vibrance is like saturation, but with better control.  It only increases/decreases the saturation in the least saturated colors in the image. I much prefer using this.
  • Luminance noise reduction is used to reduce light noise, the graininess you see in an image that may look similar to film grain.  Increasing this will reduce the grain, but too much will make the image look too smooth.  I don't use this that much.  A film grain look doesn't both me in most circumstances.
  • Color noise reduction reduces just that, noise that appears in the form of colors.  This can be seen as splotches in the image, color dots or blots in parts of the image that don't belong, etc.  Very easy to use, has little to no negative impact on the image.

Some of these wedding shooters shoot 2000 images that they then have to go through and process afterwards. Think about it.

This is where batch processing comes in handy as well as creating presets.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ChetNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow