Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,447
Like?
Re: RAW Troublemaker Again
In reply to Chet Meyerson, Aug 31, 2013

Chet Meyerson wrote:

Gary,

I'M WITH YOU!

You knew you were asking for trouble when you started this thread. I don't shoot RAW and I certainly can on my a77 and my a99. The RAW fanatics on this forum really show their ignorance to the JPEG format-of today.

Yes thanks Chet. That was the idea of the title anyway. I was converted to the RAW religion in the last thread, and was schooled on the majority view about all that, so I was just trying a little humor with this time, but they are coming for me.

If I might interject my innocent opinion once again to a friendly member, I am still amazed at the difficulty and amount of work processing RAW is. I have seen how it has a greater dynamic range and can rescue a blown out image from disaster. I have seen how it can correct exposure and white balance. But all of the other controls need to be balanced against each other, such as sharpening (two different kinds) and noise reduction (many different kinds), and then there are those crazy Vibrance and Clarity sliders - wtf is that all about? Seems like if your exposure is anywhere near correct a little Levels and  Unsharp Mask and "Remove Color Cast" work like magic.

Some of these wedding shooters shoot 2000 images that they then have to go through and process afterwards. Think about it.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ChetNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow