Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
A pessimist's take on the new Sony lenses
11 months ago

When talking about cameras and lenses, here is what would describe my specific needs:

- I want a small package that I can easily carry around in my jacket pocket

- The camera + lens need to be capable of good IQ in available/low light situations

- I mostly do street potography, landscapes, portraits and macros. I don't do super-tele things like birding, though.

That being said, the Nex body (any of the Nex-es) is doing just fine: great IQ, and super small form factor.

However, since I HATE changing lenses, I have been waiting from the inception of the Nex line for a great, bright standard zoom to arrive.

The 18-55 kit lens is okay but is clearly too dark for my purposes and has a meh bokeh. Same applies to the new 16-50PZ.

The 18-200mm and the 55-200mm are just too big + too dark + I don't need the super tele range.

I always wished something like the FF24-70 Zeiss f.28 would arrive some day in a smaller form factor for the Nex line.

But what did we get instead: A reasonably sized but way too dark 18-70 Zeiss lens, the quality of which is certainly outstanding but the small aperture simply makes this lens unusable for me as an "always on" lens, since I totally depend on available light that is more often than not very low.

What a dissapointment. I understand that the policy of SONY executives has been to keep the size down and they probably want to have difference in IQ between the APS-C Nex and current and future Sony FF models, so that they are not interested to further push the limits of IQ on the APS-C Nex system.

What a bummer..... I almost decided to say good bye to the Sony Nex system, but then I figured out a way to still be able to do exactly what I want: Most of my pics are street/landscape photos that I take with the gorgeous Sigma 19mm f/2.8. It's bright,I love the wide-angle and it's reasonably pocketable. When I want to make the occasional portrait, I will simply get the famous Sony 50mm f/1.8 and change between those lenses when necessary.

Now let's have a look at all the other lenses recently released:

The two Touits are certainly great lenses but way too expensive, just like the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8. If I had to pick only one single lens that would stick on my Nex5N, it would probably be the CZ2418. However, paying 1000 Dollars/Euros for it (which is almost twice as much as the Nex 5N body is worth) is just not right with me. The SEL35mmf/1.8 is certainly a great lens but it's too narrow of view angle for all the street and landscape photography I am doing.

Maybe I gonna go the route of the Zeiss 18-70 f/4 zoom, but only if we get a new Nex body with MUCH improved low light IQ (at least 2 stops), which is very very unlikely to happen.

To sum it up: I gonna pass on all those new lenses and keep changing between my beloved and cheap Sigma 19mm and the furious SEL50mm. Small, great IQ, as bright as it gets.

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow