Focusing tilt/shift lenses

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
LaszloBencze
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?
Re: Focusing tilt/shift lenses
In reply to yodermk, 11 months ago

The joy of using Canon's TS lenses is that they give you a hand holdable view camera. I use these lenses on all sorts of assignments and let me tell you, it is just incredibly useful to be able to tilt the lens ever so slightly and get everything from the foreground at my feet to the distant horizon perfectly in focus at f2.8 or f3.5.

On a recent project, I photographed my home town of Roseville CA during late afternoon and early dusk making extensive use of the shift feature to show rooftops. It was truly a pleasure to be able to achieve such wonderful results without having to bother with a tripod. I had to adjust a few of the frames ever so slightly to get perfectly aligned verticals, but it was no problem. Certainly quite different from tilting a camera upwards and making massive tilt adjustments in Photoshop. Oh, when you use extensive shifting, your metering will be way off. So just get a good reading without the shift, then set your camera to manual exposure and use that setting for the rest of the shoot.

I never use a tripod with any TS lens unless I'm shooting at night.

I have never used the 10x live view to confirm focus. I just focus on the ground glass. Occasionally I will check my focus on the back of the camera but it typically checks out just fine.

Honestly, it's not that hard to focus a camera. Practice, practice, practice. You will get used to it and will appreciate the wonderful capabilities of these lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow