Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,218Gear list
Like?
Potential convert (from bridge) - Night Shots, Wildlife, Landscape
Aug 30, 2013

My interest in photography became serious in June of 2012. It has grown steadily since.

I currently own a Panasonic FZ200 and LX7. When I purchased these last year I thought I was set for a while. However, as my knowledge grew so did my expectations and desires. In particular, my budding interest in night photography lead me to begin researching larger sensor cameras.

I am currently considering the GX7 and E-M1.

Obviously a significant investment is involved and I don't want to find myself wishing I spent the money on a full frame system instead or leaving my new 4/3rds system at home because my FZ200 meets my needs better.

The reason I went with the FZ200 in the first place was that I don't want to weighted down while hiking and bicycling to enjoy nature. Another concern is how much room they take up in my luggage when I travel.

Among my concerns is that I will drop my expensive lens attempting to change them in the field. Manual dexterity is not one of my strengths.

I am also concerned that the number of lens needed to duplicate the dexterity of the FZ200's 25mm to 600mm (35mm) lens will be prohibitively expensive and heavy (even with the smaller less expensive 4/3rds lenses).

Depth of field isn't something that currently is a big issue for me but that could change.

I feel that I have what is probably an above average use of long zoom.

Any thoughts, particularly from those who use 4/3rds for Night Shots, Wildlife, Landscape and long zoom would be appreciated.

I am attaching a night shot (noise reduction in PP) and a zoom shot taken with my FZ200 for your reference/comparison.

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow