Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
gkreth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to Trevor G, Aug 30, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

bkpix wrote:

I love using Pentax equipment but its reliability is very frustrating. Maybe it's just a run of bad luck. Or maybe it's time to go back to Canon....

Or Nikon.

I jumped and got a much larger range of affordably priced, large aperture zooms and primes.

Just curios: Could you list some of those? I sometimes think about ikon, but other than a few used third-party 28-70 or 70-200 f/2.8 zooms on eBay, I have not seen much.

Problem 2) A new K-x which:

a) chewed through batteries, especially in live view, at a prodigious rate.

I had this problem on my K-x; a firmware upgrade fixed it. It was interesting to me because I had used my K-x for more than a year with no issues from my Eneloops; then it just showed up suddenly. Fortunately, the firmware upgrade fixed everything.

c) would focus extremely erratically in certain light. I only found out a few weeks ago that that was a known problem under tungsten. Not known to me at the time, though.

I never had this problem, myself; I don't even remember reading about it with the K-x. Now the K-r did seem to have that problem. You say you saw it with a K-x?

I sold it and all my lenses in disgust, after finding that most of my lenses were decentered, anyway.

Now a happy Nikon shooter.

Always good to find something that works for you. I just bought a K-30; best $469 I ever spent....

No one looks down their nose at me.

Never had that happen to me, at least, I never noticed it. Then again, that would be a concern of mine, and I'm surprised it's an issue for you.

-- hide signature --

Greg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow