Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,542Gear list
Like?
I want medium format!
Aug 30, 2013

When I was young, we had medium roll film cameras like Yashica, Rolliflex and Mamiya. They weren't versatile, but the negatives were big and you could really blow them up. Then my dad got a Pentax Spotmatic and we were forever stuck in 35mm because 35mm was "good enough" (reminds you of another discussion?). Medium format was eventually the domain of pros.

But even after I bought my first Nikon, I always wanted to get into medium format or even large format. The look and image quality just couldn't be duplicated with 35mm. When I bought my F5, I was very close to actually getting a Mamiya 7. In the end, it was the old issue of embedded lenses - I already had Nikon lenses.

So now we have today. Medium format digital seems like a greater jump than medium format film was. It used to be about 40 to 50 percent jump to get into medium format film. But you'll have to spend a lot more to get into medium format digital and the low end may or may not yield better results than a D800. The lowest barrier I can find is about $18k or so. Really, much greater than that if you want to see better results.

So I find this disappointing. I suppose medium format film is still around and that may be part of it. Film hasn't been buried in the medium format world because it's hard to beat? That's too bad. I really like medium format, it looks great.

So here's my proposal:

Medium format camera in Fuji X series form factor only bigger.

80 Mp sensor

Optical rangefinder with split screen manual focus

Just the basics - no fancy scene modes or any of that useless stuff. Just simple, high DR, high resolution images.

Come on! Why not?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow