Keep LX7 or RX100?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
borocay
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Re: Keep LX7 or RX100?
In reply to tinpusher, 8 months ago

I appreciate all of the comments. I know there is no one right answer since each camera has its positives and negatives. I don't have the time to spend in front of computers processing photos so I only shoot JPEG. I have always leaned toward Sony cameras since their in-camera processing has always produced pictures that to me look warmer with better colors and skin tones. I took my LX7 on vacation with me to Cancun a few weeks ago and it did a great job taking daylight and low light pictures outside. However, when we were in a-la-carte restaurants with low ambient lighting, the LX7 failed miserably. The camera's auto white balance was all over the place and no matter what I did I could never get a good picture.  If I didn't use a flash then my wife and kids were too dark and if I used a flash then they were all washed out due to the flash intensity.  I could never get a good balance even on manual settings. Very frustrating to say the least. It could have been me just not knowing how to set the camera up before taking the shot, but I just don't have the time or the patience to sit there for a few minutes setting the camera up while my wife and kids wait. I want to capture the moment and fiddling with the damn camera sure ruins it.  The same thing happened at a restaurant the other night. I was taking pictures of my wife with the LX7 on intelligent auto mode and the white balance on auto was all messed up. I picked up the RX100 and took the picture and it looked great. That alone is enough for me to sell the LX7 and keep the RX100. Even though I love the layout of the camera and how it feels in my hand.  It is useless to me if I can't get the shot that I want.

borocay's gear list:borocay's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow