Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,448Gear list
Like?
D610 Slap in the Face
8 months ago

I'm so sorry I ordered a D800 early and will NEVER be an early adopter again. Today my D800 is GREAT, but that took a year of dealing with Nikon and finally getting a firmware update. Never again.

Some of my friends bought the D600, mainly as a 2nd body. And like most people they ended up with the sensor/oil/dirt issue. I won't get into the hoops that had to be jumped through. Everyone here as read it all before in a thousand versions.

Like the D800, the D600 was soon known to be a troubled camera. Few shooters don't know about the issue. This not only effects the shooter; it also effects resale.

You can be certain of this: Most people will want a used D610 over your oily D600. Your D600 just joined the ranks of the SB900.

Now, if the D610 is truly a new model and not just a tweaked, repaired and de-oiled D600, I'll say "okay, that's fine." But this looks more like a case where the reputation of the D600 was irreparable.

Live and learn, as they say. When the D900 is announced I won't even consider ordering one for at least 6 months. And AGAIN, my D800 works great these days, but it was not the happy experience that my D700 was.

Now I know a thing or two about business. When it comes to PR, Nikon is near to horrible. What saves them is the quality of their product in most cases. But if I bought a D600 recently I'd be pretty miffed. It basically screams "This is a now properly working D600."

Anyway...that's my view. Maybe the D610 is more than I think...or less. And maybe it's not even real. We'll see.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow