Why the Nikon 1 system does not sell well....

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,472Gear list
Like?
Re: Why the Nikon 1 system does not sell well....
In reply to RonFrank, 11 months ago

Interesting responses so far. I am a Nikon user and have been since the 70's, so not a troll, and did not post this to start problems.

I feel the Nikon 1 system is overpriced. The fact that they dropped the price to $300 with lens as a closeout price is a good indication of the bottom line. Maybe the pricing is working for them, but I kinda doubt it. I really want the 1 system to survive. Its a great system with the ONLY solid PDAF system in a mirrorless body. That technology is valuable and may be a major reason for the initial pricing. But Nikon barely mentions their amazing AF system, the only PDAF system that works well in a mirrorless body.

I am hoping for a third generation of the 1 system. I believe the system has gained in popularity, but primarily because most users bought their cameras when the huge discounts created the inexpensive market. So far Nikon's pricing of the 1 system reminds me of the Apple of the past. Apple was loosing money hand over fist and selling leather covered Macbooks for $5000. They failed and would be gone if it wasn't for the iphone which saved Mac.

I hope the 1 system continues on for decades like Nikon's SLR have.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow