DigitalCameraInfo: "GX7, the camera Olympus should have made instead of the E-P5"

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,273Gear list
Like?
DigitalCameraInfo: "GX7, the camera Olympus should have made instead of the E-P5"
Aug 30, 2013

Do you agree?

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/panasonic-lumix-gx7-digital-camera-review

My opinion, it has exposed an issue that's been the subject of posts of late: if mFT is over-priced compared to APS-C mirrorless and DSLR cameras, then the E-P5 is the poster child at $1000 body-only and without so basic a premium camera feature as a built-in EVF.

To their credit, Olympus does offer photographers on a tighter budget identical image quality in the E-PM2, often on sale for $429 with kit lens, or the better featured E-PL5 kit for $550 when on frequent sales.

Now we have the upcoming E-M1 announcement with a heavily rumored price of $1500 for body-only and $2200 with the kit 12-40mm f2.8 lens. Is this a fair price for what in many respects is an updated E-M5? A price some $300 higher than either the D7100 or 70D?

We need to wait for the actual announcement before judging, but if Olympus has taken this large of a price leap I think they'll not move many E-M1's, and mFT will remain a backwater of interchangeable lens cameras for Europeans and Americans.

Exclusivity is kind of fun (I can count the number of times I've seen another mFT camera on one hand), but not so good for the future of the format.

E-M5 and E-PM1 user (along with Olympus DSLR's).

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Canon EOS 70D Nikon D7100 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow