Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Logan3-1639
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Post Processing
In reply to Daniel Chui, Aug 30, 2013

Daniel Chui wrote:

Logan3-1639 wrote:

Beautiful images. I'm curious about how you processed them. The first image in particular has a subtle, HDR-like quality, and I mean that as a compliment. I'm not fond of HDR when it's obvious and/or over-the-top, but I've enjoyed several subtle HDR images. Regardless, your photos have a very pleasing tonal quality, and I like the composition.

~Ed

Hi Ed,

Thank you for taking a look and for your feedback :). I share your sentiment regarding HDR. Some HDR simply goes too far.
Here is how I did the post processing on the first image.

* Two exposures were combined using layer masks at the horizon at the base of the mountain. Each exposure was processed bumping contrast, clarity, and saturation slightly.

* A separate hue/saturation adjustment layer reduced blue and cyan saturation, which was a problem in the shadow area of the mountain. A lot of photographers leave that in, but I decided to take that color cast out for this shot.

* An s-curve darkened the sky and mountains and helped bring out the colors a little bit more.
So I am happy to say that no HDR software was used, just standard graduated ND photoshopping

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Logan3-1639's gear list:Logan3-1639's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow