Let's be clear, the ONLY thing about E-M1 that matters is...

Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's be clear, even if it does tracking well, it will not...
In reply to peevee1, Aug 29, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

... its AF tracking speed.

If it can do reliable 9+ fps tracking with 90-20/2.8, it competes with $6,700 1Dx (+ $13K 200-400/4 1.4 Extender to replace that $6,000 90-250).

Even if it can do 9+ fps with AF tracking, which seems highly unlikely considering the EM-5 only does 4+ fps with full AF, it still will not come close to competing with a pro FF DSLR like the 1DX because the IQ is just not at the same level of quality.

In what respect, given that in sports shooting situation you will have 2 stops smaller ISO because of 2 stops faster lenses? And at base ISO E-M5 matches 1Dx already .

The EM-5 doesn't even do ISO 100 (or ISO 50) like the 1DX so no it does not "match" the FF DSLR.  Shadows are noisy on all of the Olympus 16 mp cameras even at base ISO.  Not to mention that in sports shooting you will quite often be shooting higher ISO settings to obtain the fastest possible shutter speed.  The EM-1 in daylight might be OK provided they've improved AF tracking, but for indoor events like basketball or volleyball, you are going to be needing at least ISO 1600-3200, not a strength of the EM-5 / EM-1.

And let's be sure you understand that three numbers from DxOMark don't even begin to tell the whole story.  You have far better DOF control with the FF meaning better subject-to-background separation and more professional looking images.  Not to mention the fact that a FF camera like the 1DX, 5D3 or any of the Nikons, resolves way more lines than the EM-5 / EM-1.  So to say "the EM-5 matches the 1DX already" is completely false.

You are talking about a top-of-the-line professional FF DSLR (a $7000 camera) one of the two most popular sports / events cameras currently made (the D4 being the other).  There is a reason they are ubiquitous at sporting events - they have extremely accurate, robust AF tracking, absolutely beautiful IQ, and pro caliber lenses that are optimized for PDAF.  We don't know how the Four Thirds lenses will perform on the EM-1, but I don't imagine that too many m43 enthusiasts will be dropping large amounts on the somewhat pricey Olympus Four Thirds telephotos.  But you never know...

If it can only do 4 fps or not reliable, it competes with $1,500 6D or even cheaper 70D/D7100 (and loses to the latter for the sports, and there are other cameras like E-M5 which are perfectly good if you don't need sports).

If it does 4+ fps when AF is not locked on the first frame like the EM-5, it still will not compete with the 6D because the IQ is just not there.

As a sports camera, 6D does not exist. It cannot compete with anything, even E-M5, AF area is to tiny to track anything and 4 fps is not nearly enough (at least E-M5 can do 16 shots at 9 fps with focus locked which works for some situations). As a non-sports camera, it is pretty good and in fact it is what I have said - if not made for sports, than at $1,500 E-M1 is in slow 6D category (Wifi and all) and will lose on IQ and lens prices and availability.

I've never used a 6D, but I can guarantee you that any Canon DSLR including the 6D can do predictive AF tracking more than adequately for most sports.  But I'm not a Canon user so I cannot say I've tried one for sports or otherwise.  I did hold one at B&H and it's quite nice.  Not as nice as the D600 which has a better AF system with a larger AF array, not to mention far better IQ.

Don't get me wrong, I think the EM-1 will be a very good camera.  Just that you are putting it up against some extremely tough competition.  Cheers.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow