M43 seems more and more overpriced compared to NEX

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,490Gear list
Like?
Confused...
In reply to Dennis, 11 months ago

Why are we even bothering to compare the Oly 75mm with the Nikon 85mm?

Do people buy lenses more for it's DOF (bokeh) and light gathering capabilities (i.e. noise) or do they buy lenses for focal length and speed? Because I'm definitely in the latter...in which case 85mm Nikon regardless of price and quality, just isn't something I would use to compare with the Oly 75mm.

Dennis wrote:

wolfie wrote:

First remember the fact that a FF 85mm is not an equivalent to the M43 75mm, (that would be a nearly a 42.5mm in M43), so try the comparison to a 150mm f1.8 lens from the FF crowd (if you can find one) and see how the price, size and image quality compare.

Sigh ...

I read over and over again how tired m43 users are tired of the "Equivalence brigade" coming in here to correct things that m43 users supposedly know by heart, and yet I keep reading total nonsense like this whenever I visit this forum

So ... forget equivalence for a moment and consider that the OP was comparing m43 to NEX. Granted, there isn't an 85/1.8 that fits NEX right now, but lets at least move over to another APS-C platform ... like Nikon DX. I'm using an inexpensive 85/1.8 on Nikon DX with a sensor that's reasonably close to m43. It's a great lens at $500 and compares favorably.

The fact is that m.zuiko 75mm has got universally very good reviews and DXO scores. The lens rental guy pulled one apart and said the all metal internal construction was as good if not better than canon L glass or nikon pro range lenses. Quality costs extra, and as most of us know, the price line to better build can only go up.

Yes, I agree that the Oly is likely better built and very satisfying to use. The Nikon feels like a consumer grade lens (though to be honest, I'm not sure I'd voluntarily spend a lot more money, given that there's nothing wrong with the build of the Nikon).

Please spare us the pontifications when you cant even the basic facts straight.

Mmmm ... yeah, I won't go there for fear of incurring the wrath of the "We don't need no stinking equivalence" brigade.

(Even if you want to ignore light-gathering (AKA noise) people buy these lenses for shallow DOF and even the "f/1.8 is f/1.8" crowd has to acknowledge that you don't need a 150/1.8 on FF to match 75/1.8.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow