Canon Rebel T2i - Rear curtain wireless triggers for live view?

Started Aug 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
F Con
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Canon Rebel T2i - Rear curtain wireless triggers for live view?
Aug 29, 2013

I'll try to make this as organized of a question as possible:

My gear: Rebel T2i, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitter/Receiver set, Canon 580ex ii, Alien Bee AB800, a few Yongnuo speedlites, wired shutter remote, etc.

My goal:  I want to be able to take a self portrait without any other assistance.  My goal was to have my camera on a tripod, and hooked up to my computer and use the EOS Utility in live view so that I can turn my laptop screen towards me and see what I'm aiming at, then use a wired shutter button to take the picture.

My problem: While live view is on, my flashes do not trigger with my Yongnuo RF-602 set.  In fact, none of my aftermarket flashes will flash even on the hot shoe itself.  Only my Canon 580ex ii will flash, while connected on the camera.

So far, I've found one potential solution, and that's with Magic Lantern installed to toggle the LV 3rd Party Flash option on, so that it will force my wireless trigger on the hot shoe to trigger, BUT, when that happens, I lose the ability to autofocus on my shutter button half-press, instead, the mirror clicks repeatedly, so I lose the option of AF while that setting is on.

I've also borrowed a friend's set of older Pocket Wizard Plus triggers to see if it's just because I took the cheaper way out and got Yongnuos.  Even the PW set won't trigger flashes in live view.

What's my best option to get this to work, without having to buy a newer/better camera body?  It annoys me that there's an option on the T3i to disable this silent mode for live view, but they never released the same feature for the T2i, which I find absurd since it's mostly the same guts on the inside.  I've read around and I'm under the impression that the T2i Live View triggers on rear/2nd curtain, and I hear the new Yongnuo YN-622 set is capable of Rear-curtain triggering.  That to me seems like the cheapest fix to this issue so far, but I'm open to ideas.  I know a bit about this equipment, but I don't know all the jargon, and I don't have a totally firm grasp on master/slave settings or how ETTL really works, I'd just rather get everything to trigger and just change my power settings per flash manually if anything, but hopefully there's an easy fix.  Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow