Is being "sharp" important for a picture?

Started Aug 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vadimraskin
Senior MemberPosts: 3,555Gear list
Like?
Is being "sharp" important for a picture?
Aug 29, 2013

Obsession with being "sharp" sometimes frustrates me to no end. Show me a single "sharp" classic film shot that is being revered to this day. It isn't the ability to see small hairs on the dragonfly leg that matters... Constant chase of technical perfection leads us away from the art of taking the PICTURE. We spend thousands of dollars buying professional grade cameras and lenses but often end up framing shots from the cheap P&S or a cell phone because those shots talk to us and nobody cares that something isn’t perfectly sharp or in complete focus. I catch myself all the time fussing over perfect framing and location of the light source and exposure and focus point but missing the SHOT while my wife is happily snapping away on her old G12 in P mode and ends up with better pictures that bring attention and my technically superior shots are being forgotten on the storage drive.

I am talking about hobbyists, not professionals, of course. When you don’t make money  with your equipment, is it really worth obsessing over?

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
npNew
We?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow