Started Aug 29, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Loren Charif
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,581
Like?
Gimbal Head Question
Aug 29, 2013

Although I've been using a Feisol 3402 tripod and Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head for several years with my 7D and various lenses up to 100-400, I tend to prefer handheld shooting, so haven't used it a lot.   Now that I've added a 300 f2.8L IS to the lineup, I know I'll be using the tripod a lot more.  The Feisol is rated to 19.8 lbs, so I think I'm ok there, but the ball head is only rated to 13 lbs, and my rig, with grip, 300 f2.8, and 2x TC is about 11 lbs.  So I think it's time to move up to a gimbal.  Or another solution, if there is one, at a reasonable price.  I can't really afford top-of-the-line, and, again, since it's really going to be occasional use, wouldn't make financial sense.

I can get a good deal on a demo Induro GHB1, but I don't really understand how I would attach the camera to it (it's a side mount gimbal) when using a shorter lens (e.g. 17-55) for landscape shots.  It would seem that I either need to switch heads (seems cumbersome), use a 2nd tripod (seems expensive), or use a different type of gimbal head with a swing arm so the attachment plate is underneath the rig instead of side.

Am I missing something here?  Any recommendations?

Thanks in advanceĀ 

Loren

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow