Started Aug 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,474Gear list
Like?
Travel to Italy, Tips Kindly Requested
Aug 29, 2013

After much Presidential-style debate and exchanging gunfires here and there with dinosauric dragons, my wife and I finally agreed to visit Italy. It takes a lot of time and money to get this planned and it's finally happening a month from now.

First off, I want it to be a truly pleasurable trip - heard great stuffs about food and cultural sites in Italy. Those are the two main reasons my wife and I love to travel. Second, I don't want to bring an overkill of photography gears, you know what I'm sayin? I love landscape, cityscape, portrait and a bit of street photography.

His gear: Canon 6D and 7D. 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 40mm f/2.8 STM, 70-300mm VC USD Tamron, Tokina 12-24mm f/4.

Her gear: Sony NEX-5 and NEX-7. 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 16mm f/2.8 (which is crappy).

My plan is to leave the 7D at home. The 6D will have the 24-105mm f/4L. I will leave all other lenses at home, except perhaps the 40mm f/2.8 for video use. Right now I am also struggling about to bring or not to bring the 100mm f/2.8L because I saw several gorgeous night photography opportunities in Italy (Rome, Florence among others). That said, the 24-105mm f/4L paired with the 6D at ISO6400 onwards can handle many lowlight scenes very well anyway.

Her plan is to bring the NEX-7 with the 18-55mm kit lens. Perhaps this can also be our video camera, which will make it optional for me to bring the 40mm f/2.8 STM. Comes with spare battery anyway.

We plan to tour Rome and major cities by foot, hence I want to keep my gear as lightweight as possible. Which means aside from a spare battery for my 6D, all the batteries I will use for flash is in fact Energizer Lithium. Laptops too stay at home. We'll make do with tablets to stay in touch with business emails.

Your thoughts?

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +9 more
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow