Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,222
Like?
Re: M43 seems more and more overpriced compared to NEX
In reply to peevee1, 11 months ago

peevee1 wrote:

Dennis wrote:

If you want to extend the argument, then it's fair to point out that NEX has nothing at all to compete with the excellent and fairly priced 45/1.8 and 75/1.8

No, 75/1.8 is NOT fairly priced, you can get plenty 85/1.8 covering twice the image circle at less than half the price. It is in fact one of the most overpriced m43 lenses, along with 12/2 and Pana 12-35 and 35-100 pair, at least at their prices on the US market.

OK, you got me there ... in fact, it's possible that in evaluating the 45 & 75, I've drunk the kool-aid a little ... that is, I'm looking at $400 being reasonable as a "portrait prime" forgetting that 50/1.8s for larger sensors on other platforms cost much less.

In fact, I have the very excellent new Nikon 85/1.8 and it represents a tremendous bargain.  (I love the FOV on APS-C).

In the 75's favor, it might be sharper across the frame ?  (I haven't bothered trying to compare since there's really no point).  I'd guess it to be better built and more satisfying in use.  (The Nikon feels like a consumer grade lens, like the 35 & 50).  Not that I'd necessarily want to pay more for warm fuzzies like that.

Sony has nothing close for a good comparison in the NEX line, but Samsung has its 85/1.4 ... and now that I've just bothered to look, I'm shocked at its $800 price tag.  That's crazy !  Nikon & Sony 85/1.4s for DSLRs are in the $1400 range.

However, if you're specifically comparing m43 to NEX, then there is no fast tele for NEX, not even a fast portrait prime.  There's only the 50/1.8 which is good (maybe not 45/1.8 good) and stabilized for $350.  I suspect a longer portrait prime won't be as good a bargain as the Nikon 85/1.8.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow